If you are a student then it can be pretty expensive to get access to essential developer tools online. This is where GitHub Student developers pack come into play.
GitHub has been providing students free access to developer tools in one place since 2014.
But many students are unknown about these awesome tools that you can get for free with the pack. You can get commercial software, tools and services without paying a dime with GitHub student developer pack. And the best thing is you only have to be a student to get all these.
At the time of writing this article, there are actually 107 tools that you get for free with this pack. All these tools can help you provide hands-on experience on real world tools for free.
Here I have listed only some of the most popular tools that you can get with the student developer pack.
- Microsoft Azure: Get access to microsoft cloud services along with 100$ in Azure credit
- JetBrains: Free subscription of premium IDEs like IntelliJ, Pycharm and more to be renewed annually.
- Heroku: Free Heroku dyno for two years which you can use to deploy, run and manage your apps
- DigitalOcean: 50$ in credit for cloud hosting ** **
- NameCheap: One year free .me domain name with free SSL certificate
- AWS Educate: You’ll receive up to 110$ in bonus AWS credit for free cloud training and collaboration resources
- Canva: 12 months free subscription of pro tier to create professional looking graphics and designs
- GitHub Pro: GitHub pro features for free while you are a student
These are just 9 of the popular tools that you can get for free with GitHub Student developer pack. You can get free domains, free web hosting, code editors and IDEs, free access to premium paid courses and many services that can help you make a better developer with this pack.
You can learn about all the tools here.
In the next section let’s see how you can get started.
To apply for the student developer pack you must
- Be at least 13 years old
- Must be a student enrolled in a degree or diploma granting course of study such as highschool, college or university
- Have a verifiable school-issued email address or upload documents that prove your current student status
You can apply for the pack with your school email address or using the documents like Student ID card or enrollment verification letter.
Then you can head over to GitHub Education portal and Click Get Pack to apply for the pack.
Then you can enter all your details and apply for the pack. If you have an edu email provided by your school or college, add that email as you’ll get approved faster with your school email.
Here’s a comprehensive guide to apply.
In my case it took just few hours to get my application approved(I applied with my school email). If your application gets rejected then you can re-apply with other documents to get the benefits of the pack.
The GitHub Student Developer Pack provides awesome tools and services for free. But you must use them wisely to get the best out of it.
Don’t enable all the benefits at once as most of the third party benefits expire after a particular time as mentioned on the pack information.
If you have no idea on how you can use the tools, check out Student Gallery where you can see the projects built by students using the tools from the pack.
I hope this would be some help to you. Thank you for reading.
- How to register a free .np domain name in Nepal?
- Best Campus Ambassador Programs For Computer Science Students
Don’t forget to share this article so that many students that learn about this.